We were fortunate to speak with a motor insurance claims officer, and he shared with us that there is one crucial thing to do in the event of an accident with Malaysia vehicle.
Many of us know to do the following in the event of an accident with Malaysia vehicle.
- Keep clam
- Take a picture of the damaged area of the vehicle.
- Record particulars of the other party (car plate, name, NRIC and contact number of the other party)
- Make a police report if the accident happens in Malaysia or when personal injury is involved in Singapore.
- Make an accident report at the insurance authorised reporting centre within the next working day (even if the accident is in Singapore as the insurance company reserved the right not to pay claims for late reporting. We have seen insurer not paying claim because of this)
However, there are two essential items that many car owners don’t know (including myself) that he/she has to do.
1) It is to take down the picture of the road tax disc of the Malaysia vehicle.
This is because the Malaysia insurers will always ask for the above when the claim is filed against the Malaysia vehicle. Even if a police report is submitted, the insurer will still ask for the picture to prove the accident with the related party.
An image sample of Malaysia road disc is shown below:
2) Check that the vehicle number on the road disc is the same as the car plate
We have heard of horror cases where the Malaysia car plate is invalid and hence making a claim again third party invalid. We recommend you to contact the police immediately if the number on the road tax disc is different from the car plate.
Finally, we wish that you will never get into a motor accident. However, in the unfortunate event that you know someone has as a collision with a Malaysian vehicle, I hope this article will serve you well.
Finding the cheapest car insurance upon a claim
We are aware that most car insurance company will increase car insurance renewal premium upon a claim. This is true if the car owner is wholly or partially at fault. Fortunately, we happen to know some insurer are more “price-friendly” with car owners with claim history.